A WELL STYLED LIFE

...style is more than what you wear, it's how you live your life

February 25, 2014

Getting What You Pay For

Saturday, I attended a bridal shower for the future daughter-in-law of one of my dearest friends. It was a gloriously warm day and I, of course, wore black.

Things will be shaking up in my wardrobe very soon because I've hit the wall on, maxed out on, overdosed on, am sick to death of, wearing black.




The floral arrangements were gorgeous. Bright red roses with fresh green Hydrangeas. The inclusion of grapes hinted at a wine-country theme, which I had been oblivious to. I gifted her a Copper Risotto Pan she'd registered for. Luckily, at the last moment, I included a set of Wine Glass Writers that kept me from seeming totally daft.
I first saw these pens at a dinner party last month. I was helping serve some wine and our host used them to label our glasses. We were opening a very special, 1988 Penfolds Cabernet Sauvignon, which, FYI, was fabulous.

Wine Glass Writer pen


I thought they were such a clever idea, I posted the picture on Instagram right then. I got a note back almost immediately from my friend Adrienne, who writes The Rich Life On A Budget. Her friend Jeannine owns the Wine Glass Writer company and would like to send me a few!

Small world comes to mind, but also the power of social media and the quick connections it makes.

Jeannine generously sent me two complete sets, pretty metallic and a primary colored set. There are so many clever ways to use these, all explained on their website and available at all Williams Sonoma stores, in both the US and Canada.

directions for use of wine glass pens

~~
The bride opened box after box of decanters, openers, aerators, wine drinking and serving accoutrements plus every conceivable shape wine glass possible. When the bride opened my gift, there was an enormous ooh & aah session as the ladies went nuts fawned over the Wine Glass Writer pens. It was really hilarious when I thought about the expense of that Copper Risotto Pan.




The shower was very pretty. Mimosas all around and Champagne for toasting the bride.  It wasn't until the coffee...that I noticed my Chanel was leaving its mark.
Legende color

When I went to reapply my lipstick, I discovered none was needed. Although my lipstick left it's smiley mark on the teacup...I was still appropriately covered.  It's very creamy, not touted as long wearing, but stays on very well.

Sometimes, you get what you pay for. This, was one of those times.

Discovering a lipstick with staying power and proof that some of the best gifts are not expensive.

Have you seen these pens?

On another totally irrelevant note...do you repair your lipstick at the table or only in the restroom? Just curious, ladies.

Enjoy your day!

27 comments:

  1. Never at the TABLE!AS I would miss the MARK!Even with a small mirror………think its time for those reading glasses!But I already have glasses for distance so another pair to carry hang around my neck…….NO THANK YOU!I will do the LIPS when I do not have an audience!Which usually means at home.
    I just heard number 38 was a GOOD red too from CHANEL!I am loving my BITE products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get me started on how many pair of glasses I need!! Horrors! Even though my lips seem to be thinning, I've taught myself how to apply without looking ;) Glad you are enjoying the Bite. It's a terrific line.

      Delete
  2. Legende was my former shade of lipstick from Chanel and this season I kicked it up a notch with bit bolder shade called Orchidee. It has staying power and I like the formualtion and how it feels on the lips...just the right amount of moisture so as not to wear off too fast.
    I will repair my lips at the table if I do not need to use the ladies room and feel not too bad doing so as I invested in a pretty rhinestone encrusted compact. There are two schools of thought on this...some approve and some do not. It will be interesting what your readers will say...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have a look at the Orchidee! It really is a fabulous lipstick. I like their Velvet lipstick as well, but this just feels so good on.
      I love pretty compacts! I still use my Grandmother's Silver one...I was able to glue a small magnifying mirror in it where the powder used to be.

      Delete
  3. I rarely wear lipstick, but if I do I apply at home and that's me, I don't normally need to reapply.
    I think at the table is a bit of a no no, I've never seen it done in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! Thanks for sharing the tidbits of wisdom here and there and the prevalence of beauty! That looks like a great shade of lipstick. I'm pretty lax about reapplying lipstick. At the table, in the car (yes, while driving) at the counter at work.....in fact, I pretty much just wash my hands in the bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, lipstick. I hate it getting on cups & glasses but it's a girl thing isn't it? I use NARS gloss almost all the time. I need the moisture from it. My daughter gave me wine charms years ago, but one must remember to use them. The pens are precious, but a bit too casual for me. And, Jennifer, black is always right. Go out and find a huge white silk floppy flower for Spring/Summer, some spectator shoes of any height and a new bag...you've good to go. And, I'm serious about this. love you !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your'e so sweet Marsha, but wait till I share my black wardrobe mishap! I was mortified :-) Black has been my staple and base for so long, I can't remember not wearing it.
      I used the Metallic pen to leave a love note on my husbands coffee cup this morning! It was so fun, and washes right off.

      Delete
  6. I am so glad you like your pens! Aren't they clever? I love to bring them as a hostess gift with a bottle of wine.
    Jeannine is such a generous person. I didn't realize she sent you two packages. How kind!

    I was taught at Montgomery Ward's Wendy Ward Charm School when I was 9-years-old to never apply makeup in public and I generally don't but sometimes, depending on the situation, I will dab on a little lip gloss on the sly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeannine is a real sweetheart. It's such a clever product. The coincidence with this bridal party was nothing short of spooky! I love the idea of including it with a bottle of wine for the hostess!
      I was taught never to apply lipstick in public also...so I'm curious to see the responses. I'm guessing the younger generation would have a totally different take on it too, even though I taught my daughter not to apply in public!

      Delete
  7. You just can't go wrong with Coco! I were a lot of black and do so much with...great foundation pieces with so many fun jackets, and accessories! You do not have to do much to shake up the closet. Sound like a lovely event though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a lazy lipstick wearer and rarely reapply. I do gloss in the depths of winter as I hate the feel of dry lips. Etiquette be damned, Canadian winters require constant glossing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't you love those markers? Adrienne had a giveaway a long time ago and I won a set of them. So much fun! As for the black...I wear it a lot too but I don't get sick of it. Probably because I usually wear a brighter color with it...scarf, top, bag--something. However, I have been wearing grey more lately than black so maybe I am rebelling against it a bit too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too have color in my accessories but just bored with all blank.

      Delete
  10. Oh I am going to get me some pens (and maybe a risotto dish too!) - love them!

    I have one chanel lipstick and it is divine! I was Miss Black for a long time and grew tired of it, but it is always perfect, isn't it? Now I am looking for more ecru in my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the problem with black. Even though it's always chic, always appropriate, is easy to wear and perfect, I'm bored with it. Hope you're enjoying the magic kingdom:)

      Delete
  11. I have recently discovered dry eraser pens for something else and am thinking they'd make good wine glass pens too. Love your lipstick. I agree, with makeup you often do get what you pay for if you have a good brand. I love Laura Mercier and try not to put it on at the table but sometimes do and in the car too, lol.

    xo Mary Jo
    http://MagicalMined.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. No, never at the table. My friend does it and I cant help but think it looks wrong.....plus....it destroys the image of being a natural beauty lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there is that problem for us natural beauties :)

      Delete
  13. LOVE...LOVE...LOVE this post!

    Chanel "Rouge", the Cab...and the writers...you are making my heart sing for the rest of the day, my friend!

    Now, back to task at the office!

    w/L

    ReplyDelete
  14. The wine glass writers are indeed a clever idea and a cute, useful little gift. I've found that those lipsticks claiming to be long lasting are often not and those that last can be drying. However Chanel and Lancome I find are creamy and moisturising too so worth the money. I prefer not to reapply at the table!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lancôme is one line I've never tried it I have a girlfriend who wears nothing but it!! Must give it a try.

      Delete
  15. Looks like a gorgeous party! I will put my lipstick on wherever. I think it's elegant if done with ease and not self conscious. I prefer a light tone on the lips but always admire women who can pull off the bold color (like you!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the table and the lipstick. I've never been brave enough to wear red.... maybe... Just found your blog, look forward to following you... Suzanne www.chapter2twotoo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lipstick to be applied as and when able - if it's a formal or business function - never! But lunching at a cafe with gal pals - yes with a compact and be good to go. I loved what one of your other responders said - that it looks classy to apply it with a dahs of panache and an accomplished hand - and so mine is! I'm a makeup artist and can do my makeup in the dark, lipstick whilst hanging upside down nursing a baby and stirring a pot. Here's to being fabulous!

    ReplyDelete