A WELL STYLED LIFE

...style is more than what you wear, it's how you live your life

February 11, 2014

THE STYLE ESSENTIALS

I'm still away enjoying a whirlwind trip around Vancouver with my daughter. We're not letting the cold, dreary weather slow us down one little bit. Shopping, eating, walking while we shop, walking to restaurants and more eating.

I just heard of, and wanted to share, a fun event that's coming up this Sunday.




It's the continuation of a 6 part webinar, hosted by GlamAmor on THE STYLE ESSENTIALS: THE HISTORY OF FASHION IN FILM.





If you love style in the movies, you are invited to a special 6-part webinar series to learn all about THE STYLE ESSENTIALS: HISTORY OF FASHION IN FILM. The Style Essentials represent iconic costume design from film that immediately impacted fashion and continues to influence the industry today. This is an online version of the HISTORY OF FASHION IN FILM course I teach at Woodbury University and in presentations around Southern California. There is one webinar per decade from the 1920s to 1970s. - See more at: http://www.glamamor.com/2014/02/HISTORYOFFASHIONINFILM1950s.html#sthash.OCwILkLk.dpuf

I watch virtually no network television, but I am a TCM fanatic. Movies from the 1930's and1940's are my very favorite. I've always loved to watch the classics.

Those were the days when a woman (and man) actually dressed up for their day. No sweats and athletic shoes at the market. Hats were standard attire on everyone. Martini's were chic and Tuxedos were the evening outfit of choice for gentleman. My how things have changed.
This Sunday is all about the 1950's. Grace Kelly, Audrey Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor, Marilyn Monroe...no shortage of fashion icons in this era!


Our next live webinar focuses on the style icons from the 1950s and the Golden Age of Hollywood--including Elizabeth Taylor, Grace Kelly, Audrey Hepburn, and Marilyn Monroe. You can see the other decades' stars we discuss in the collage above. Each presentation includes stills from the movies and images from today's fashion that are accompanied by a conversation about film history, costumes and their legendary designers, and many fascinating backstories of the stars. - See more at: http://www.glamamor.com/2014/02/HISTORYOFFASHIONINFILM1950s.html#sthash.Jqgnl9MI.dpuf


I missed the webinar on December 15th, THE 1930's--ART DECO ELEGANCE, but plan to purchase the recording and throw a feminine soirée for an evening viewing event with my girlfriends. We'll have elegant cocktails... Champagne...all of my candles will be lit and I'll have flowers...everywhere!

While I've always adored the silk charmeuse gowns of that era, I will probably wear something a little less formal. Now what did I do with those marabou mules I've saved? 

Please click on the GlamAmor link to learn more.

Do you like Film Noir? TCM?

Has your fashion sense been influenced by a specific decade other than the one you grew up in?


Enjoy your week darlings!

32 comments:

  1. Dani BP would love this, so would Wendy. I think I'm still most influenced by punk and my late teen years - skinny jeans, t shirts, messy hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love fashion and film talks. I guess the 30s is my favorite because it influenced the 70s but was so much more refined. But I can find things from every decade that I adore.

    xo Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. the 80's and early 90's for me definitely although I love a forties and fifties look. But I grew up during the 70's and I can't bear all my toddler pics in the wierdest clothes!! I must say most people look better in black and white I have noticed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer - thanks for the heads up! I am going back for the 30s as well, If I was ever to step into a movie IRL it would be The Thin Man Series opposite William Powell! I am anxious for some good (old fashioned - every pun intended) inspiration! Lately I have realized I am either dressing like a slob or only wanting to wear ballgowns (I don't have any BTW). What up with that?

    As for you Tabs - wait for the 70s! I always see you as a beautiful Jacqueline Bisset type!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Thin Man was my favorite series of movies. The glamour, the humor, the style! I always enjoyed that escapism and Myrna Loy was the best!!!
      William Powell was no slouch either. I'm thinking I may need to go clothes shopping very soon:)

      Delete
  5. I too love movies from the 1940's. It seems that movies changed so much after WWII, with reason I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore it all…………I do not have a favorite era……..MUST ponder that one!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I type this I have "Singin' in the Rain" on TCM on in the background. I LOVE old movies. It's mostly what I watch. When people ask me what my all-time favorite movie is, I tell them "Mildred Pierce" with Joan Crawford and almost always get a blank stare. I don't have any friends who have the same interest in old movies that I do...so glad to know that you do. I bet we'd have lots to talk about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joan was fabulous in Mildred Pierce!!! Veda was so easy to hate, wasn't she? "With this money I could get away from you!" Just what mother loves to hear!! Lunch in SF with you anytime!

      Delete
  8. Oh Jennifer, I love this idea. I'm going to sign up for the webinar. What am I influenced by? Maybe the style of Armani, or the 20's if I could dress that way. It's lovely to see the NY collections this week, almost every designer is going back to the more dressed-up look. Except Marc Jacobs, who seems to be doing "athletic" perhaps in homage to the Super Bowl and the Olympics??? You guys have a great time in Vancouver. xx's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree Marsha. And as always, Carolina Herrera is sending fabulousness down her runway!! Such ladylike glamour!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the intro to what looks like a great series.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing, Jennifer! Really appreciate you spreading the word of great style. I look forward to seeing you all at the webinar this Sunday. Hard to think of a better way to celebrate the romance of Valentine's Day weekend than with the romance of the 1950s! You can go to GlamAmor.com to sign up or sign up for any of the webinars here: http://www.anymeeting.com/GlamAmor To view videos of the ones on the 1920s, 1930s, or 1940s, just click the 'Past Webinars' tab and then 'Register' for the era of your choice. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Entirely my pleasure! So looking forward to it. Thank YOU!

      Delete
  11. Beautiful! I seem to like something from every era. Basically, I just adore clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE movies from the 1930's and 40's and all Hitchcock especially in the 1950's. Used to walk around the WB studio lot and read the plaques on the sound stages listing all the movies made on each stage. Such history! Plus the costume department was one of "my departments" I had to review. Loved learning about this department and touring all the storage rooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the Hitchcock Blondes were always fascinating to me.

      Delete
  13. Oh, the 30s were the best, stylistically I believe...since the economy was so awful, the escapism in those beaded bias gowns (My Man Godfrey, Myrna Loy in anything but especially the Thin Man movies, I swoon!) really made those films shine. But then I think of all the Hitchcock films across the decades and think no, they all were pretty terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh that sounds like such a cool webinar series! I've always loved watching fashion in movies, Breakfast at Tiffany's and Rosemary's Baby are two of my favs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might really love the one this Sunday on the 1950's then.

      Delete
  15. I adore old movies and vintage fashion...so thank you for tip on this special Sunday. I am going to try to tune in for it. I would have loved to have seen the Art Deco period too. I have been reading books and watching shows set during that time period--can't get enough!! xo, H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed the Art Deco one too, but you can watch a rerun on the site. Any fun books to recommend?

      Delete
  16. Just tonight I went through my DVD's looking for Breakfast at Tiffany's and realize--I don't own it!! I had a hankering to watch it tonight and now I know I have to make a point of buying it. This webinar looks really fun, Jennifer. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi ladies! Just wanted to give you a heads up that I'll be doing a reprise of the 1950s webinar this Sunday. There were tech issues with the platform last week, so I'm doing the whole thing live again for the group. All are welcome to join the fun. Info + registration: http://www.GlamAmor.com Click on 'Past Webinars' through the same link if you're interested in the 1920s, 1930s, or 1940s. Hope to see some of you soon! Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, I don't think my style is driven by any era but definitely from where I grew up. My formative years were spent in Australia and I think that has influenced my laid back casual style. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jennifer, what a wonderful post! TCM is the only reason I have a cable subscription! The 30s and 40s are my absolute favorites, and keep me going. My style of dressing is totally influenced by the past. Nothing feels more civilized and life enhancing than dressing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautifully put Cynthia!! It respects ourselves and others to dress well.

      Delete
  20. I regularly work with TCM, so I share your love of the network! In fact, I hosted a couple movies at their last film festival (a gigantic affair with 50,000 attendees) in Hollywood. Of course both movies had a huge style component and story. I also got to interview Cybill Shepherd about her love of the movie on stage! So all the info in the webinars is right in line with those who love the programming of TCM. :)

    And pardon me, I didn't give you the most direct link to the webinars in my last comment. It's http://www.anymeeting.com/GlamAmor Don't forget--this Sunday is a reprise of the 1950s, so tons of Grace, Audrey, Marilyn, and Elizabeth. Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I did see your interview with Cybill Shepherd. It was wonderful. You have an amazing job!! Thank you for updating the link for us! See you Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Firstly I love the collection of black and white photos. I feel that there is something to admire from every decade from the flapper dresses of the 20s to the elegant gowns of the 30s. Thanks for mentioning this. I shall click on the link to find out more.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for your very kind comments on the blog today about the loss of my friend. You are a sweetheart and your words are comforting. I think an old movie fest may be just what I need. Thanks for sharing this recommendation. I adore French/International films when I get a chance and these are fashion icon moments. Hope you are enjoying your getaway.
    xx, Heather

    ReplyDelete